Friday, February 15, 2013

When did adults become such hypocrites?

I know we say that Canadians are so polite all the time. We say "please" and "thank you" for things that don't always require that response. We open doors for people who are 50 feet away from such door and will stand there awkwardly while we wait for that stranger to walk through it. But more often I'm finding that adults have become huge hypocrites from what we teach our children.

A friend of mine had her car hit at her school, doing a significant amount of damage, and the person just drove off. If your kids were having a play date and your kid accidentally broke something at someone else's house, would this not phase you? Would you not tell your kid to go up to Mr. or Mrs. X and apologize for what they did and then work on replacing the item?

It's bizarre to me that some adults have become so rude and irresponsible in these respects. I too had my car hit, at Joseph-Brant Hospital no-less, and no one left a note on my car. I know there are good people out there, but it's really upsetting to think that there are others out there who have no sense of common courtesy.

It's okay to make mistakes people. We learn from mistakes! But make sure you own up to them and take responsibility. After all, isn't that what we teach our children?