Sunday, February 10, 2013

Book Club

Okay, so I finally decided to go ahead and make a blog. I mean, I guess it was about time. I've been writing for as long as I can remember. And as it turns out, I haven't quite committed to writing a full-length fictional novel yet. Usually I get 3 chapters in and then the idea fizzles away. So maybe blogging is actually a great idea to satisfy my writing ADD.

My friend Laura and I are in a 2-person book club, but I want to share all of my recommendations with the world. Some books are just so amazing that they need to be shared.

My most recent Chapter impulse buy was Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend by Matthew Dicks. If you loved Room by Emma Donoghue, you will likely fall in love with this book. It's the story told by Budo, an imaginary friend of a kid with autism named Max. I literally cried through the last 2 chapters of this book (and the epilogue), but that could also have been due to hormones... the same thing happened when I watched March of the Penguins. Seriously, water works through the whole thing, and I'm almost certain it was the penguins that made me cry... not the calming tone of Morgan Freeman's voice.

I also recommend this book to all teachers out there. It's a beautiful story of compassion, and the understanding of differences in the way we all think - the view of a teacher, a mother, father, kids and imaginary friends.. I also wonder if I ever had an imaginary friend as a kid and what exactly did this friend look like? If you have an excellent imaginary friend story, feel free to post it :)