Monday, September 9, 2013

Making changes Part 1: Say Yes to Life

Say Yes to Life

Many of us get stuck in that "day-to-day", following the same routine which feels safe to us. But when you think about it, time is precious, so shouldn't it be important what we do with that time? It's okay to stay in a place where you feel safe, but we shouldn't restrict ourselves based on fear of the unfamiliar.

My aunt once told me "Yes! You have to say yes to life!" And what she meant was say yes to opportunities when they come up. If there's something you really want to do, don't let someone hold you back from it (even if they're not saying it to your face).

I hate sayings like "YOLO" or "life is short". Of course it's short. We all know that, and "YOLO" shouldn't be an excuse to do something stupid or potentially dangerous. But when a new opportunity arises, well... it's kinda nice to think that you're filling your own life with new memories and creating your own adventures.

My boyfriend and I are flying out to BC this fall/winter, somewhere I've never been, and I'm so excited. It'll be an adventure on it's own, but it comes with the possibility of falling in love with BC and moving there. The unknown is exciting. Just because I was born and raised in the Greater Toronto Area, doesn't mean I have to stay here. Having roots is amazing, but I also like knowing that I'm not permanently fixed in one place in my life. Who says that you can't do something?

On a smaller scale, I used to look up to women who ran and did yoga. They were always so relaxed, so happy, so fit. I thought, I want that to be me. I want that endurance, that strength, that serenity. So I made the choice to try. I've been practicing yoga on and off for 4 years now and this summer was the first time I started running. It's a feat of endurance and each time I go out, it gets easier: I can run longer without feeling tired or getting out of breath. I decided to make that change in my life and try something new, and it has been incredible!

Another example: my sister wrote a children's book. She's a stay-at-home mommy with two amazing, beautiful children, and baby #3 on the way, and she took the initiative to have her book bound and made available on Amazon. (Click the link or search for the Bubble Dragon on Amazon.com).
The Bubble Dragon. Graphics by Laura Ireton
She made the choice to invest in her creativity. She reached out to one of my friends who is an incredibly talented illustrator, and she made her vision come true.

The idea of freedom is liberating. We make choices everyday and those choices shape our lives. I just like reminding myself of that: I make the choices that shape my life. It's a very powerful responsibility... with the potential to have amazing adventures, no matter how big or how small.