Monday, September 23, 2013

iPhone shuffle all... it's like a magical musical surprise

There is something so magical and wonderful about music. It's ability to change your mood or influence you is incredible.

Every time I get into my car, or go for a run, I try to decide what I want that run or ride to be like and I pick my music based on exactly how I feel or how I want to feel. I actually ask myself "what kind of running experience do I want today?" Maybe I want a nice calming slow playlist, or some 90's and 2000's pop; or maybe I need extra motivation and need something with a good base and a fast beat.

Some days when I'm stuck in shitty traffic, or the black hole known as Hwy 401, I blast Alanis Morrisette or Amanda Palmer and rock out to the angry chick tunes.

When I get anxious, sometimes I lean on a few indie favourites or good ol' T Swift. If I'm in a jazzy red-wine type of mood, Michael Buble is the man. If I need some cheering up, I go for the best of the Barenaked Ladies or a little Kangaroo Court by Capital Cities... or Wham! ... or George Michael in general... or Walk the Moon... okay, so there are too many genres and artists that could easily cheer me up.

There are very few times I need complete silence and my mind will tell me when it needs that calm. Sometimes near the end of my run, through the last leg of forest, I'll take off my headphones and just listen to the trees.

But there are other times when I don't want to think about what I want to listen to. I might not even know, but I'll let "fate" take it's course and decide. And by "fate" I mean the iPhone "shuffle all songs" button which is now my new favourite button. I never know what's going to play next! and sometimes my iPhone just knows what I need to hear, or just has the best timing ever.

No matter what type of music you enjoy, it is magical. Use it as a tool to change your mood or to help deal with stress. Create a playlist for your day, even if you need to schedule some silence in there too.