Thursday, September 12, 2013

Going Braless

I love Thursdays. Thursdays are my day off of clinic and it brings me so much joy to not wear clinic clothes. Especially with the heat wave we've had... dress pants and white lab coats are totally counter-productive when it comes to letting my body breathe.

I've always been the type of person to love comfy clothes. I love coming home, putting on pajamas, or wearing track pants all winter long. But new trend I've started with myself is going braless. I call it "Braless Thursdays".

I almost forgot what it was like to not have an underwire constantly nestled under my boobs... to not have straps on my shoulders all day long. Leaning back on a chair or couch and all I feel is my back - not the clasp digging into my spine.

Then there's the sports bra. I wear one at some point almost every single day when I workout. And it's not just any sports bra, but the most heavy-duty Lululemon bra that straps down the girls better than duct tape could. Like a tight elastic that holds them so close to my body that sometimes I'm afraid they'll disappear into my chest cavity. But it sure does hold up to the bounce test!

Sometimes the girls just have to breathe and so I have given them that freedom. It's not for attention, or to seem overtly sexual in public, but more for just comfort and to remove the restriction that's there the other 6 days of the week.

You could say I'm still "young and perky" and with my breast reduction, no longer have all of that extra weight pulling down from my chest, pulling at my shoulders and back. So I'm lucky in that respect.

I think we're all entitled to our braless days -without any judgement. And if you do stare at me in public, the thought in my head is that you're sad that your bra is clasped tight around you and mine is left in a drawer at home.

There's no bra-burning party about to happen, but maybe a good ol' fashion high five for comfort!