Monday, November 18, 2013

Too early for Christmas?

It's that time of year... apparently Christmas starts in the middle of November and carries on until New Years. I've been having those moments; the ones where you become that type of adult that doesn't really care about the Holidays and doesn't want to hear Christmas music right now.

It's been a depressing realization for me. Usually I LOVE Christmas music. I love hearing it as early in November as possible. But with everything that's been going on in my life, I just can't seem to devote any attention to the upcoming holiday season. I've become one of those grownups that complains about Christmas stuff in November.

There are certain aspects of this time of year that I despise: crowded malls, impatient people (in public and on the roads), that last cram of trying to get all school work done before the end of the semester (5 case reports, a presentation and a business plan -while trying to manage all of my patients and treatments- you can suck my lady balls).

But then I try to remember all of the bubbly things that I love so much about the holidays: Christmas lights... I'm in love with twinkly lights. I love when people wrap the trees on their lawns with lights. I love big light spectacles with inflatable snowmen and penguins. I love the smell of real Christmas trees and of fires in fireplaces. I love how beautiful it looks when big fluffy snow falls at night and in the morning when you wake up and everything is blanketed with a layer of fresh snow, like the world has been frosted with icing.

I know I'll get to that point when I'm excited about the holidays, but for the first time, I also understand what all of those grown-ups are talking about when they say it's too early for Christmas right now. And work Christmas parties and Santa Clause parades in November are like a big fat holiday tease. So I'm joining forces with the grown-ups of the world and boycotting all holiday things until at least December.

Lastly, I just wanted to send out a friendly reminder that there's no reason to be offended by people's use of different words for the holidays. If someone wishes you a "Merry Christmas" and you don't actually celebrate Christmas, just say thanks and return the greeting. This applies to ANY holiday (except if someone wishes you a happy birthday, and it's not actually your birthday... then you might want to correct them). That person isn't trying to piss you off or offend you. They're being friendly. So don't be a dick and take offense to it. This is Canada... many people from many different cultures celebrate different holidays around this time of year; So it should be a time to celebrate and be happy - not to take offense to a friendly greeting. My biggest piece of advice for this season (and in general): Don't be a dick... especially if someone is actually being sincere with you. 

Soon to come: more ways on how NOT to be a dick.