Friday, July 19, 2013

Dance like no one's watching

I've always supported the idea of dancing like no one's watching... and literally doing it. It's one of the ways I deal with the stress of city driving and being in a car for far too long. If I drive alone, I'm usually playing my music at a volume loud enough that I can't hear the squeaking of my car's link stabilizers. I'm wearing my super fun purple Florida sunglasses. I'm dancing in my seat with hands moving (except for the one on the steering wheel), my head bobbing back and forth, singing along as I please.

Well, I finally got caught... by two guys in another car, one of which gave me a huge thumbs-up and completely approved of my car dancing behaviour. And the thing was that I really didn't care. I actually laughed at the whole situation and gave the guy a thumbs-up in return, then continued to enjoy my singing/dancing car time.

Maybe that's one of our problems... why some of us are so self-conscious. When it comes to self-expression, why do we always care what other people think of us?

On Wednesday, some friends and I drove up to Peterborough to see Walk off the Earth at the music festival. Usually concerts are pretty lively, however, due to the nature of this being a free concert in a small northern-ish city (well, it's north of Toronto... so to all the city people you could call it "northern"), it was packed with families and older couples. I have never been to a concert where the crowd was so stagnant. I mean, a lot of people were standing, but hardly anyone was moving, or dancing or really seemed to be enjoying the music. So I danced, because I couldn't not. I think I would actually feel more awkward standing completely still during a good song.

It's liberating to be able to move however you want. And I really couldn't care less what anyone else thought. I actually thought it was soooo weird to have a crowd that huge gathered around to listen to music and no one really looked like they were fully enjoying it.  If they weren't so attentive to what was going on on the stage, you would have thought they were bored. As OMC once said, "How Bizarre"?!

I think there is actually something mentally and emotionally different between those of us who feel free enough and comfortable enough to dance in public, and those who are just too shy or embarrassed. I'm not quite sure where it all stems from, but that whole mentality can be changed. The next time you get the chance, you should try it and notice the difference in yourself on the Bubbliness scale. Dancing to music you love is totally bubbly-making.  I mean, geez... even my Nana does it, and she's one of the most hilarious and happy people I know.

I've just gotten to the point where although I'm trying to maintain a professional image, I also need to keep my soul healthy and happy, and that comes through self-expression. 

Case and point: the president of our school just walked past the student lounge, where I alone am laying on one of the couches laughing out loud while watching How I Met Your Mother on my laptop (and yes, I'm on clinic shift right now). And although I was pretty surprised to see him in this area of the school, it didn't stop me from continuing my morning lounge time.

Sometimes (and I mean everyday) you need to do something that makes you happy, no matter who may be watching.

Dance, because it feels amazing. Laugh, because it will make you live longer.  Put them both together and that's bubbly :)