Sunday, March 10, 2013

City vs Country... drastic differences in a rough week

You may have noticed that I haven't blogged in a while. This week has just completely drained me. I think Toronto can do that to you. The people are angry, the weather is shitty, the streets are dirty, traffic blows, and the energy is so overwhelming!

So after staying up late a few nights in a row trying to get school work done, I was sleep-deprived, socially deprived, and stressed from the city. Plus when you add PMS to the mix, it's just a disaster. I ended up staying in bed for most of the day on Thursday, just trying to let my body rest and reset. I mean, when you start to feel flu-like, it's time to start listening to your body and give it what it needs.

My intern at the school's clinic gives this to me as my homework. She says to put your feet up and do absolutely nothing for 5 whole minutes (which can seem like an eternity) and ask your body what it needs. Maybe it's water, maybe it's food, maybe it's rest, maybe it's movement and exercise. But it's all about tuning in to my body and not letting all the "other stuff" run my life.

On Friday, my boyfriend and I were lucky enough to shadow Dr. Frances Turk at the Rockwood Naturopathic clinic together.  The drive there alone was uplifting. We left very early in the morning and as soon as we were north of Milton, our entire surroundings went from an industrialized, dirty mess, to a winter wonderland. Everything was covered in a gorgeous blanket of snow. I had forgotten how beautiful the "country" could be and just how different the weather can be when you drive even 20 minutes north of the city.

I should mention that the first amazing bonus to this day was that I got to wear slippers the whole day in her office. I mean seriously, right then and there I was in heaven. Slippers are one of my most favourite things and my friends can attest that I usually have a pair packed in my purse. So once my feet were nice and snuggly, I looked out the window and saw nothing but a snow-covered forest. It was so quiet and peaceful that I really didn't want to leave. It truly was a healing environment. 

But for all of you who are stuck in the city, I must say that sunshine greatly helps to dissipate the great dark cloud of grim that absorbs us into its swirly vortex of grumpiness and fatigue. It's like the universe has dumped boxes of sad kittens onto all of us.

So... I guess my conclusion is that I desperately need more sunshine and less city... Though it's not always easy to do. I think we all need a break from this swirly vortex of grey. So if you get the chance to escape - take advantage of it! Make time to check in with yourself. Make time to escape even if it's just for a few hours.