Saturday, August 8, 2015

My favourite "feel better" tea

I had the misfortune of contracting a head cold with major sinus pressure and headache this week. As soon as my throat was getting raw and my face was painful to touch, I had a mini panic moment that I might be getting the same terrible sinus infection that I had last year, one that lasted well over a week.

I decided to act quick; to get ahead of body and ramp up my immune system so that I could get back to life. The difference it made? I prevented a secondary bacterial infection unlike last year. And unlike my last illness, I was able to rid the cold in 3 days vs. the 10 it took me last year and the 14 it took me the winter previous.

Apart from my supplements and a botanical tincture full of echinacea, what really helped pull me through it was my favourite "sick" tea:
2 parts ginger tea, 1 part lemon myrtle, plus 1 tsp honey.

Don't have any ginger tea or lemon myrtle in the house? Dig up the ginger out of your freezer (which is the best place to store it) and make it from scratch:
  1. Remove the "skin" from the ginger and thinly slice the ginger. You'll need about 1/4 -1/3 cup for a pot of water (~ 3 cups)
  2. Slice a lemon into about 4 slices
  3. Meanwhile, have a pot of water on the stove and bring to boil
  4. Add the ginger and lemon (you can give the lemon a little squeeze before dropping it in). Optional: add a stick or two of cinnamon and/or a few cloves.
  5. Simmer on low heat, covered, for 20-30 minutes. 
  6. Remove from heat and pour liquid into your mug. Add 1 tsp of honey and enjoy. 

It's warm, delicious and will also help resolve any nausea. For me, it's comfort tea. It's also amazing in the winter on those frigid cold days - definitely add the cinnamon and cloves!